Book Club Frustration
At work I'm part of a book club. The first book we read was Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 100 Years of Solitutde - a great book, and one that I highly recommend. This month's book was the curious incident of the dog in the night-time. I've just finished it ... and I'm frustrated.
It's a much shorter book than the first - not an issue in itself, and certainly it would be a big ask to read marquez every month. But I can't help feel that I've missed something in the curious incident. I just can't take the same meaning from Haddon's book ... there's none of the uplifting prose, the deapths of solitude are missing. I know that Haddon has tried to imitate the speech and observations of an autistic child, but I'm not sure WHAT story he was trying to tell apart from that Christopher has his own sense making process.
So essentially, I didn't like this book at all. Let me know if you want to borrow it. I'm happy to discuss both books if anyone is prepared to read them both.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home