Book Club Update
2007 has seen an expansion of the book club, both in membership and (at least in my opinion) of what we are reading . Given that we only have a week before the next meeting, we have decided to read 2 short stories - and the genre is sci-fi. We are reading Ender's Game and Flowers for Algernon, neither of which are controversial choices. I've never read the short story version of Ender so it will be good to read Card's original story. Algernon I've read a couple of times; I don't mind it but it's not particularly uplifting in any way.
I'll let you know how the "literature" camp takes the change of books :)

2 Comments:
Interesting choice.
Having read both of them, I have to say they would not make my top 10 list of sf/fantasy.
Still they are reasonable stories you could do a lot worse.
Was Enders Game on your top 10 list?
Are you familiar with the Bean free library online?
http://www.baen.com/library/
Enders is on my top 10 - but I have to say I prefer the book to the short story. The story is a lot less clumsy, and much more sign posted.
Flowers for Algernon I'm not sure about - I wouldn't rate it, but when I reflect, it's stayed with me for a long time. so I think it's an important story, rather than a popular one.
Post a Comment
<< Home